Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wikis!


Citizendium is the biggest disappointment ever! That isn't true, but they've got nothing! I realize they have standards of accuracy that necessarily slow them down in posting stuff, while ensuring that their articles are accurate. I appreciate all that, but so few of the things I tried to look up had articles that I won't bother going back.

I've been enjoying Wikipedia for quite awhile. I know the accuracy is a little questionable, Stephen Colbert highlighted that not long ago. He objected to facts and reality being voted on and urged people to change Wikipedia's elephant article. According to him for awhile it said that elephant populations were on the rise due to the help of Stephen Colbert.

Between misprints, old information, and purposeful lying I think information is a crap-shoot anyway. At least for the general public, I'm sure reference librarians know who to find real information. I hope so anyway. I've lost most of my confidence in absolute facts. I blame congress and the 400 diet plans that are each the only one that works.

But I digress. The video about using Wikis to plan camping trips convinced me that they are useful beyond questionable encyclopedias. I also like the idea of Fugitive Facts.

No comments: